The Role: Product Technologist
Location: Tottenham Court Road
Contract Type: Permanent
Hours of Work: Full Time
Heal’s has been designing, making and selling quality furniture for more than two centuries. Starting out as bed-makers in 1810, Heal’s has been at the forefront of some of the most influential interior design trends of the past 150 years, from Arts and Crafts in the 1890s to Bauhaus Modernism in the 1930s and the Scandinavian Design wave of the 1950s.
The people at Heal’s are as passionate today as they’ve always been about pushing the boundaries of outstanding contemporary design.
The Home of Design since 1810, Heal’s still champions core values of Good Design, Well Made, and simple and honest Craftsmanship.
About the role
Heal’s has been designing, making and selling furniture for more than two centuries. Starting out as bed-makers in 1810, Heal’s is as passionate today about pushing the boundaries of outstanding quality and design. This is a great opportunity for a dynamic product technologist to join the product team and help shape and manage the process of delivering against the Heal’s value of good design, well made.
- Provide assistance to the buying team by being involved with the product development , technical and quality aspects of own label products
- Manage the technical and quality aspect of the entire product lifecycle, including safety, legality, quality, manufacturing, and sustainability, ensuring products deliver against Heal’s high quality standards with consideration to compliance with technical policies and standards.
- Responsible for managing the technical relationship with suppliers and factories, implementing improvements to products, packaging and processes, where required, based on returns and customer feedback
- Product: support product design, development, sourcing and quality.
- Communication: Timely and effective communication with external and internal teams: suppliers and factories, designers, buying, customer service and logistic
- Deadlines: Work within the product development critical path and timely problem solving on ongoing ranges
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- From design concept to sealed sample, oversee all technical aspects of the product and packaging development , ensuring designs are safe, fit-for-purpose and designed ‘to last a lifetime’ .
- Ensure materials, construction, packaging, and labelling are designed to adhere to quality and customer standard as well as comply with relevant legislation
- Liaise with suppliers to resolve technical problems when working on new designs, proposing cost effective solutions and address problems without compromising design integrity and quality standards
- Responsible for overseeing testing, labelling, packaging and care and assembly instructions
- Ensure all products are compliant to current legislation, such as but not limited to, UK and EU legislations and environmental standards
- Manage testing process by ensuring the appropriate testing is carried out, whether commissioned in house or by suppliers, maintaining test reports approval and records
- Prepare testing guidelines to support product development and ongoing product evaluation
- Manage timber compliance for the business, ensuring the relevant national and international legislation relating to forest management and timber trade are met; Maintain a robust due diligence system in relation to compliance with the EU/UK Timber regulations, including assessing and auditing suppliers
- Prepare and present to the senior management team reports , insights, and recommendations to support the sourcing , compliance and sustainable objectives of the business
- Work closely with Customer service team to resolve any QC issues
- Build and maintain strong relationships with agents, suppliers and factories, holding them accountable when quality and manufacturing standards are not met
- Monitor suppliers and product performance, monitor return rate and propose effective and timely solutions when manufacturing defects and poor service occur
- Review factory evaluations, factory quality management systems, audit and propose corrective actions as required to meet the business’ needs
- Research and keep up to date with design and technical innovation, latest manufacturing techniques, processes, material sourcing, to enable the business to work on new and innovative products
- Provide support to the buyers during product re-engineering or resourcing in line with business requirements
- Review and keep up to date Environmental & Social Policy, Quality procedure and Furniture manuals
- Review suppliers’ pre-shipment inspection reports and, where appropriate, carry out DC inspections of new and resourced own label products’ deliveries
- Drive quality standards, safety performance and legal compliance
What You'll Bring
Key Skills & Experience
KEY SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Experienced in a technical capacity in manufacturing techniques, quality systems and process development within the furniture and hardgoods industry, either with a retailer, suppliers, or manufacturing business
- A good understanding of relevant legislation, certification standards and assurance scheme in the given area
- Experience in working to British and European standards , ISO’s, furniture and hardgoods performance criteria and REACH and UK/EUTR
- A good understanding of test standards and testing methods applicable to the given product area
- Strong analytical skills, problem solving mind set and ability to make confident decisions
- Good communication, organisation and planning skills with excellent attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and work effectively with internal teams and external designers and suppliers
- Customer focused, a logical thinker and a confident communicator with excellent admin skills