From the moment John Harris Heal first introduced London to feather filled mattresses back in 1810, we’ve continued to produce and sell exquisitely designed pieces for the bedroom. Understanding that the quality of our sleep affects the way we feel day to day, we are on hand to help find the right mattress for you.
Buying Your Dream Mattress
What better way to unwind than with the soft and supportive feel of a handmade mattress.
There’s no need to lose 40 winks over a mattress when you know what to look for
Time For A Change
With mattresses put to daily use, it can be difficult to judge when the time is right to look for a new one. On this issue, the Sleep Council recommends that your mattress should be replaced every 7-8 years, with common indicators including:
- Regularly awaking with back or neck pain
- Discomfort from springs or ridges in the top of the mattress
- The mattress creaks or crunches when you move around
- You and your partner roll towards each other while sleeping
- The mattress is visibly uneven or sagging
Try Before You Buy
While our specialist advice can guide you in finding the right mattress, only you can be the judge when it comes to comfort. When trying out a mattress, follow these golden rules:
Timeout: spend 10-15 minutes lying on the mattress you are looking to buy.
Double-Up: test mattresses at the same time as your partner to ensure you are both comfortable.
Rollover: try lying in different positions – you move 40-60 times a night, so you don’t want your mattress to interrupt your sleep.
Laidback: check how the mattress supports the spine by lying face up and placing your hands under the small of your back. Too tight or loose a fit means the mattress is too soft of firm.
Touch Base: the mattress will feel different depending on the bed base – e.g. a pocket-sprung divan base will feel softer than a slatted base on a bed frame.
It may seem an obvious point to raise, but choosing the right size mattress to fit your bed frame is, nonetheless, an important consideration.
Frame Up: a mattress should neither be loose nor wedged in, but instead fit snug inside the frame of a bed. To ensure a match made in heaven, measure the internal dimensions of your bed frame and compare with those of the mattress prior to purchase.
Cold Feet: allow for the mattress to be 10cm longer than the tallest person sleeping in it, and wide enough to sleep two people side by side without touching.
All Heal's mattresses conform to the following standard sizes: Single 90 x 190cm (3 x 6') Double 135 x 190cm (4 x 6') King Size 150 x 200cm (5 x 6.5') Super King 182 x 200cm (6 x 6.5')
Having made and sold luxury, handmade mattresses for more than 200 years, we only stock those filled with the finest natural materials.
- A cushioned frame houses 1000s of individual springs, each in their own calico fabric pockets
- Shapes to the body providing comfortable support that is tailored to each sleeper’s personal weight
- Reducing movement of the mattress means that there is less disturbance when sleeping.
- Made from Tempur Visco-elastic, Memory Foam mattresses react to your body heat and conform to your natural shape
- Cushioning and supporting you in your most relaxed sleeping position, they offer a sense of weightlessness and a great night’s sleep
- Due to the materials enveloping quality, some can find memory foam too warm, in which case, try a wool duvet and mattress topper to regulate your heat
A number of our exsclusive mattresses are available in three tensions referring to the thickness of the wire used to spring the mattress – the thicker the wire, the firmer the feel.
Soft: forms around the natural shape of the body, best for those who sleep on their side.
Medium: supports specific points of the body, ideal for those who change positions.
Firm: extra support aimed at those who tend to sleep on their back.
Every Heal's mattress is developed to provide optimum support at medium tension. However, what feels medium to one person may feel firm to someone else.